An Evening Poem

 I've been thinking this week of a friend at my former church who died early in 2022. I pondered our connection through our church and beyond. She was a preschool teacher, tutor, committed parent, and dedicated member of the church. She tutored one of my own grandchildren for a time as well.

The poem began sometime after Cheryl's death, when I was out walking one evening, watching the sun lower in the sky until it was nearly set. And it reminded me of Cheryl and her life and how she gave of it until so close to the end.  

I will let the poem speak the rest of my thoughts.

"An Evening Poem" was published by Tower Poetry that same year.

 


 

An Evening Poem


Each step I take

The sun dips lower in the sky

 

 I will return before the light

dives into the western horizon

 

Purple and pink clouds surround it

giving the sky a painter’s look

 

I stand and think

about the love you gave

 

the glowing orb dips a little lower

the clouds grow darker

 

your light has faded too

 

The sun slides out of sight

it will come up again tomorrow.

 

as memories of you also will

 

 

Carolyn R. Wilker

Ontario, Canada

Published in Tower Poetry Summer 2022, Vol 71 No. 1

 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Editor Falls Asleep

One Last Moonlight

Deep into Winter