Undeliverables



Have you ever thought about the things less tangible, things you cannot touch or package, but just enjoy? This was part of my muse one day.




Undeliverables


I can bring you a ripe tomato
a love letter
written with my own hand

I can bring a friend to sit with you
a bowl of soup
a litany of forgiveness, but

I cannot deliver the sunrise over a lake
the dew upon the flowers;
you have to go and see it for yourself

I cannot bring the thousands of miles we travelled together
or the hurts of the journey;
those would be too heavy to carry
and you wouldn’t want them anyway

the undeliverables
that even a grocery man cannot package



Carolyn R. Wilker

Tower Poetry, winter 2015-2016
Volume 64, No. 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Last Moonlight

The Editor Falls Asleep

Deep into Winter