Rain



I sat in my car that day waiting for the rain to lighten just a little before rushing into my Toastmasters meeting. Watching people hurry from the building, their umbrellas barely holding up to the downpour, I noticed what a heavy rainfall does and imagined the rest. Some images stay with us a while.



Finally, it rains

A cloud bursts its liquid load

large drops

pat a pat on my car roof
 splat and slide
       down the windshield slope
            where dutiful wipers whisk them away
                  to bounce off window ledges
                       dance on the hood
  a car wash without the suds
 
rain runs …
                   a stream against the curb

and parched earth
          slurps up long-awaited moisture

 


Carolyn Wilker

Tower Poetry Summer Edition 2006 Vol. 55  No. 1



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Last Moonlight

Deep into Winter

The Editor Falls Asleep